Position: Senior Program Manager- Research
Status: Full Time Employee
Date: May 2021
About GFI: Grameen Foundation India (GFI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Grameen Foundation USA works with the mission to enable the poor, especially the women to create a world without poverty and hunger. GFI’s program portfolio spans the sectors of financial inclusion and livelihoods and is particularly recognized for its work on deploying cutting edge digital platforms and solutions to solve the most pressing problems faced by the poor and vulnerable.
GFI is implementing a long term (5 years) & large-scale research project funded by the Swiss Development Cooperation, of empowering smallholder farmers’ transition to sustainable agriculture through effective and efficient digital pathways.
This project is part of a multi country action research project ‘AgriPath’ being implemented in Asia and Africa by a consortium led by the Center for Development and Environment (CDE) at the University of Berne, Switzerland. Besides Grameen Foundation India, the consortium also includes International Center for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), FarmBetter and Grameen Foundation USA as other consortium members.
The main function of the Senior Program Manager- Research would be to support the GFI projects in the monitoring, research and evaluation domain, using appropriate tools and techniques. Some of the other responsibilities for the Research Coordinator will include portfolio management, providing technical oversight, data management & analytics, relationship management, mentoring subordinates, knowledge management and project documentation.
Reporting and Relationships: The position will report to the Associate Director – Client Insights for Impact. The incumbent will be expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours plus any additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based at Gurgaon. This position will need to be flexible to work across different time zones and may require frequent domestic or international travel.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate adoption of sustainable agriculture practices including research related to digital advisory services on sustainable land management,
- Help build capacity of Extension Service Providers (ESPs), small holding farmers to serve an expanding network of small holding farmers practicing sustainable agriculture practices with essential data resources.
- Work with farmers, ESPs and other research consortium partners to ensure accurate and timely collection of date related to sustainable agriculture practices through digital advisory services
- Maintain systems for data storage and quality control.
- Contribute to analysis and presentation of research results and reports.
- Contribute to outreach products, including articles, webinars, and presentations.
- hiring the enumerators and training them (in collaboration with consortium partners).
- Handle local ethic approval, helping with the back-and-forth translation of the survey materials, and sampling the respective subject pool for the different research outputs.
- Act as primary contact of GFI to manage research activities in India and Nepal, and also support the research design in other countries in Africa.
Required qualification and core competencies:
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission.
- A Master’s degree (preferably PhD) in Agricultural Economics / Agriculture/ Economics/ Statistics or Rural Management’
- 8 to 10 years’ experience of which at least 6 years must have been in research role
- Passion for supporting small and marginal farmers through the development and promotion of sustainable agriculture practices
- Knowledge of quantitative data analysis software such as STATA/R is required.
- Knowledge of qualitative data analysis software such as ATLAS.ti/NVivo is preferred
- Strong understanding of robust research methodologies such as Randomised Control Trials, Quasi-Experimental research design
- Strong understanding of agriculture domain in India. Prior experience of research in agriculture domain is needed with significant knowledge of value chain, cropping pattern and market dynamics;