Position: Women’s Economic Empowerment Advisor (WEE-Advisor), WAGE Sri Lanka
Status: Full Time Consultant (2 year contract)
Location: At one of the project districts (Ampara/Jaffna/Kurunegala) or Colombo, Sri Lanka
Date: Immediate (October, 2020)
About GFI: Grameen Foundation India (GFI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Grameen Foundation USA, has been set up with the mission to enable the poor, especially the women, to create a world without poverty and hunger. GFI’s program portfolio spans the sectors of financial inclusion, livelihoods, women’s economic empowerment and health and nutrition. It is particularly recognized for its work on developing and deploying cutting edge technology platforms and digital solutions to solve the most pressing problems faced by the most poor and vulnerable segments and for its gender transformative programming.
About WAGE Program: “Strengthening the Role of Women Leaders in Promoting Peace and Reconciliation in Sri Lanka (WAGE)” program funded by the US Department of State/Global Women’s Initiative (DOS/GWI), in partnership with Search for Common Ground and other local partners in Sri Lanka. Grameen Foundation India (GFI) provides technical assistance to WAGE Sri Lanka in the area of Women’s Economic Empowerment.
Reporting and relationships: The position reports to the Technical Manager (WAGE Sri Lanka) in GFI. The WEE Advisor will work in close collaboration with, local implementing partners and contractors related to the project in Sri Lanka.
Availability: This is a full time position. The WEE Advisor will be expected to work a typical work week of 40 hours and may sometimes need to put in additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based at project site in one of the project districts: Ampara, Jaffna or Kurunegala or at Colombo, Sri Lanka. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to coordinate with colleagues across different time zones. This position will require travel (40 to 60%) within Sri lanka, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Job Summary: Women’s Economic Empowerment Advisor will use comprehensive experience, skills and knowledge to coordinate and direct rural women’s economic empowerment, gender and inclusion, micro-enterprise development and business skills on a two-year project implemented in three districts in Sri Lanka. He/she will work directly with the Grameen Foundation’s global and country-level teams to uncover opportunities and innovative solutions and services in partnership with local implementation partners, stakeholders and project target beneficiaries, develop project plans and execute projects. Prior experience and training in rural community engagement and mobilization, women’s economic empowerment, gender equity and diversity and livelihood development would be essential for the role.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead the Women’s Economic Empowerment activities on the project, including women-centered business skills, market analysis, and management of small grants
- Provide technical support to program teams for gender mainstreaming and implementation of Good and Great Standards gender practices.
- Provide technical guidance to other Gender Equality Initiatives (Gender audits, gender analysis, training, etc.).
- Provide training of trainers and coaching to program staff and volunteers on key WEE topics.
- Carry out regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality and/or other implementation problems, provide solutions and implement necessary modifications.
- Ensure the quality of data collection and analysis and that succinct and accurate reports are produced and used to inform programming and contribute to its improvement.
- Work with the Technical Manager to develop detailed project plans with associated milestones for WEE activities on the project
- Keep internal and external stakeholders informed on the progress of the projects
- Evaluate, hire and manage resources needed to support the project
- Work with Technical Manager and Business Analyst to create and manage budgets related to WEE activities on the project
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Strong and demonstrated commitment and at least 5 years’ experience implementing women’s economic empowerment and Gender equality programming in rural communities in Sri Lanka
- Hands on experience of working on Project management tools
- High proficiency in using digital tools and platforms such as Google Meet, Facebook, Skype to support the delivery of virtual trainings and remote work processes where necessary
- Strong planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- At least 2 years’ experience in delivering development trainings to project staff and/or rural communities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Sinhalese & Tamil.
- Excellent cross-cultural skills and ability to work productively with people of diverse ethnic, religious and language groups
- Results-oriented and able to work well independently
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively to remote project locations in Ampara, Jaffna and Kurunegala Districts (except during times of COVID or other public health crises and emergencies)
- Sri Lanka nationals/ individuals who have existing authorization to work in Sri Lanka.
Education and Experience
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Women’s Studies, Enterprise Development, Business Management etc
Compensation: GFI offers a competitive compensation package. This position carries an all-inclusive compensation of approx. LKR 2.8 million per annum.
Additional Comment: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances.
How to apply: GFI is an equal opportunities employer. Interested candidates may apply by sending their updated resumes and letter of motivation, your current and preferred location for this position, and current and expected compensation to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning “Women’s Economic Empowerment Advisor” in the subject line and confirming the earliest joining date.